What is Shanti Yoga?
offering sanctuary, healing, education, community and opportunities
Shanti Yoga is a wholistic and dramatically different style of hatha yoga. It is gentle, restorative and organic yoga practice this is profoundly healing for any body, on all levels: stiff, inflexible, crazy, busy, in chronic pain, overweight, fibromyalgia, arthritis, rehabilitation, diabetes, mature age, children, teachers, beginners, long-term yoga practitioners, stressed, back and neck injuries, chronic fatigue. The progression of early human developmental movement patterns act as guiding threads for sequences and alignment in asana practice. Functional integration of the parts of the body to the whole minimise stress on the joints, balance and strengthen the spinal column and serve to make previously challenging movements accessible.
Thus Shanti Yoga classes suit all levels of ability, experience and ages, from the complete beginner who has never exercised, through to those students and teachers who have been involved in yoga, pilates, stretching and sport for years. It's a disciplined practice that aligns breath, focused concentration, gentle movement and awareness for exercise, healing and meditation. This cultivates mind and body simultaneously by guiding the flow of internal energy through the system of meridians.
The process is threefold:
- Outer yoga is physically strengthening, with deep, core openings in your joints and lengthening your entire spine, from your tailbone to your neck
- Inner yoga nourishes the internal organs and gathers and conserves living energy (prana), and
- Integral yoga dissolves the duality of mind and body to merge with the primordial energy of the cosmos. You experience yourself at the deepest level of your being.
No spiritual discipline is compete without integrating its formal practices into everyday life. In this respect, Shanti Yoga advocates a lifestyle of celebration and harmony, encourages the cultivation of generosity, compassion and wisdom and fosters the development of reverence and respect for ourselves and the world.
- Unstiffen your supple body (through the Shanti yoga asana and kriya practices)
- Unchatter your quiet mind (through deep relaxation, concentration and meditation)
- Unfreeze your fiery heart (pranayama, Shanti yoga breathing practices and pratyahara, which means sensory management
Shanti Yoga is the most complete program for authentic wellbeing. The health benefits from a regular practice of Shanti Yoga are extensive. It delivers gentle, relaxing, mindful exercise and breathing, to open and rejuvenate mind.body and spirit, strengthen joints, muscles, tendons and bones, increase flexibility, nourish the internal organs and stimulate the circulation of energy in your body.
The practice of yoga is reaching more and more people from all walks of life, with various and different needs, wants and desires. Yoga isn't just fitness, exercise, stretching or asana. It is not about acrobatics, force, exertion or strain, heated rooms or standing on your head. Yoga is deeper because it is holistic.
Yoga is no longer confined to being regarded as just an esoteric practice from India. It is now part of the everyday lives of individuals all over the world. The body movements, breath, visualisations and stress management of Yoga are part of a health regime that improves bodily health, aids in the healing process and increases intellectual, emotional, creative and spiritual wellbeing.
Ground, Path and Fruition
Shanti Yoga's ground is the unity of mind and body
Its path is the unity of the eight limbs of yoga
Its fruition is the unity of self and other.
Shanti Yoga Benefits
We’ve taught yoga to thousands of people, as well as used our skills to help people overcome a number of health issues which include:
- The most effective way to unify the body, mind, and spirit.
- The ability to allow the body to heal itself.
- An optimised balance of the body’s organs, while the system is naturally harmonised.
- To reduce blocks in energy flow and re-energise the current energy flow throughout the body.
- Ways to increase spiritual growth and emotional clearing.
- To sleep better and wake up fully energised.
- Steps that contribute towards reducing blood pressure and supporting the immunity system.
- Pain and Stress Relief.
- How to combat anxiety and depression.
- To tackle recurring problems, such as asthma, eczema and headaches
- The secret for minimising side-effects after surgery or chemotherapy.
- Back pain and joint pain relief
- Your breathing and sleep patterns improve, you experience a decrease in joint aches and pains, and an increase in energy and mental ability.
- ..and more!
Whether you begin your practice of Shanti yoga to heal your back, or heal your heart, you will discover that the physical and mental benefits converge over time and your physical practice leads to an emotional awakening.
The narrative roads all lead to a similar point: the emotional, internal journey leads to physical wellbeing and integration within the body, as physical and emotional journeys intersect. The emotional and psychological wounds of post-traumatic stress disorder are healed with yoga. What makes Shanti yoga distinctive is the mind-body connection led by the breath. The mind and body are not in opposition, but unified through the act of breathing, and then become transcendended.
Is Shanti Yoga safe?
Yoga is the world's oldest physical and spiritual practice. It arises from the internal work to get at the core of who we really are and to mere with the absolute presence. This ancient tradition, which is is utterly vast, complex and diverse as a discipline, has been packaged and commercialised in many different ways over recent times. While this has enabled it to reach millions of people, Yoga has been shrunk to some physical exercise which is neither it's core, nor it's aim. Yoga is not a sport. It stem's from a spiritual tradition, with the science behind its origins quoted in the Vedas. An explosion of research into how and why yoga, mindful breathing and meditation impact our brains, body and behaviour appears to be confirming what sages and saints have been saying for thousands of years.
As an exercise practice, Shanti Yoga is particularly safe and effective. It blends practices that gently and progressively stretch and lengthen your body in a balanced way and specifically improves the function of weaker muscle groups, with both meditative and dynamic movement and yogic breathing. Emphasis is placed on strengthening the muscles of the trunk so that support of the spine increases, plus posture and shape improve. With Shanti Yoga you enhance overall health and flexibility, improve coordination, circulation, balance, weight normalisation and concentration. Shanti Yoga cleanses, relaxes, restores.
All our classes deliver the integrated, healing Shanti Yoga experience of health, vitality, wellbeing and peace of mind. Every body, at whatever level of fitness and strength can enjoy an enriching and satisfying experience. General and ongoing classes are not about acrobatics and circus tricks - they are for health and wellbeing.
Shanti Yoga, is the place
- to live pain free
- to heal - mind, body and spirit
- create holistic health and discover inner peace and truth
- to participate in ongoing activities, which could include gardening, revegitating and restoration programs, bush walking, take in a vegetarian cooking class, enjoy a quiet session of yoga or meditation, Ayurvedic treatments or simply relax on the verandah with a good book and enjoy the tranquil silence.
- to exist within a community or retreat to your chosen dwelling within the grounds of Nirvana
- to enrich, learn, share and inspired in your practices of Yoga, Meditation and Ayurveda
- to develop the skills and insights to live and act in the world with creativity, wisdom and compassion
- to discover yourself and pilgrimages.
- to study and practice the teachings of Shantiji
- to hear Shantiji's inspirational dissertations
- to attend a private or group retreat
- or just have a little rest and relaxation
To the individual today, this represents a means to greater relaxation, concentration, vitality and self discipline. Shanti Yoga methods help most in coping with the pressures of everyday living. It's gentle and easy but profoundly healing for any body, and on all levels. Hope to see you soon!
Health Institute Australia
Australian Government Registered Training Organisation No. 30834
CRICOS Provider No. 03098E